15 March, 2008

Varsity blues...

It's that time of my life again.


The whole routine of applying to get into a new institution is really such a hassle. Essays to be written, forms and supporting documents to submit, interviews, etc....


Went for the NUS open house today and was quite glad I did [even though Mimi, Ai Ping and I spent more than half the time getting our bearings!]. I've more or less made up my mind on the course I'm planning to pursue even though it seems like there are many who disapprove.

Anyway, having settled on my choice(s) that will either make or break my future, I'm feeling a little better but the downside is whether I will be successful.

I was reading the papers today about the number of students trying to get into the 3 local unis as well as the Ivy League Trio, HYP. (Harvard, Yale and Princeton) What was more surprising [and perhaps, shocking] was the fact that some applicants are willing to part with more than a 1000 bucks to hire people to write their uni application essay for them!


Looks like I'm in for a bit of competition. I better start drafting my essay now.


Even though I'm in the process of applying for admission, I seriously don't feel like a prospective undergrad. Since young, I've always looked up to uni students as semi-adults who are leading their own little, independent lives away from home in their cosy hostels, doing serious research and whatnot. Somehow, i don't feel prepared to enter uni. The whole task of making friends and adapting to a new environment [a much, bigger one] all over again is rather draining. It's not a matter of being antisocial but it's just tiring at times.


Well, 'guess it's part and parcel of life. Maybe things could get worse when we're in the working world for good: all those hardcore politics and stuff. 'Guess it's through times like this where I really have to surrender everything and leave it to The One Above.

No comments: