03 July, 2012

Recently at work, our supervisor posed us 10 questions during our group therapy session, after which we were to reveal to the group our responses. the 10 questions were identical ("Who Am I?") and we got exasperated and running out of steam after awhile as we struggled to provide our responses but these are mine (mostly written out of response to my current position in general):

1. I am a person who thinks better than I talk and hopes to be understood
2. I am more introverted and need more personal space than you think
3. I am emotional and need a break from hearing sad stories at this point of time
4. I am a romantic at heart and am very loyal and loving
5. I am expressive and might flourish in theatre if I tried
6. I am always thinking of the welfare of others in general, often at the expense of myself
7. I am easily touched by the honesty and genuine-ness of people
8. I am blessed to be who I am and where I am now
9. I am a person who hopes to develop more in terms of knowing God
10. I am a person who needs to learn to say "No" more often

Perhaps some of the above may come as surprises to you and you might disagree but this was what I felt/am feeling at the moment. One thing that work has taught me is to be open and honest with myself and to accept myself for who I am despite of what others might think of me.

16 more days before I hit the one-year mark of working in the corporate world.

I have to say that it has indeed shaped my way of thinking and viewing people and Life, in general. It has also made me examine and reflect upon myself (my identity as an individual, and the values, beliefs and traits that I possess) as I work with the members. I have also learnt that self-care is essential to maintaining one's sanity regardless of one's vocation (Helping yourself before helping others).

Besides that, I have always felt that I have learnt so much from my members that I seem to be benefitting more from my relationships with them than they benefit from me! They have taught me appreciate the simple things in life and their honesty and transparency (though brutal and hurtful at times) is a breath of fresh air from the superficiality and facades that one will inevitably encounter in one's life.

Despite the fact that I'm thankful and glad that I find meaning in the work that I do, I have to admit that it can be very challenging and emotionally draining for most parts of the time. I pray everyday that God will grant me the strength and wisdom as I interact and help the members.

No comments: