30 May, 2010

Sundown was the worst and best half-marathon ever. Let's start with the bad news,shall we?

Met up with Trina at Pasir Ris MRT to catch the shuttle to Changi Exhibition Centre but as the queue was very long,we decided to cab. At the taxi stand, we agreed to share cab with a Caucasian and another female runner and the latter gave the driver the wrong directions! She thought that Changi Exhibition Centre was Expo, for goodness sake. And I even asked her whether she got it right but she insisted that the 2 venues were the same. So when we got there and realised that we were at the wrong place (with the ang mo guy muttering profanities under his breath already), we were very late...about 8.45pm, to be precise. And the race starts at 9pm.

So we started to flag cabs in desperation and tried to beat the taxi queue by pleading with the driver. Thank God for this Malay cab driver, who sacrificed his family time (not to mention the chances that he might be fined for picking passengers that were not in the queue) just to rush us there! Reached at 9.20pm, but due to the road closure, we had to run-walk at least 5km to the starting point! Very bad logistics planning here, organisers! Roads were still jammed even after the race. We were stuck in the same parking spot in Nelvin's car for at least half an hour before we could move out!

Anyway, back to the main point. I was quite angry with the runner for messing up everything but thinking back, I regretted that I didn't control my feelings well but, to think that we wasted so much energy running 5km even before the race! We made it for the second flag-off timing though. And that's where the best part comes in and I really thank God for it cos I wouldn't have made it without Him and my ipod. My timing improved 'cos I didn't walk at all but the water points after the 15km mark were a necessity.

Felt my world spinning at the 17km mark. Speaking about that, the distance markers this time round were quite misleading. One moment I was happy 'cos I thought I passed the 8km mark but I realised that it was for the 10km category. But the route was not bad even though it was a never-ending straight road 'cos we get to see the occasional airplane taking off just beside us.

According to my watch, I managed to clock at least 2hrs20mins but I really salute Trina man. She was much faster, without a doubt, but she was ill, so imagine what her timing would be if she was in optimal condition. Went for supper with Alan, Nelvin and their friends after that but I didn't eat cos I thought I would be having supper after that but guess what, Mom waited up for me so my hopes of having prata were dashed, haha...

Suffering from abrasions and my legs are aching badly especially the kneecaps but the satisfaction gained surpasses it all :)

No comments: