I always had doubts about Samantha's belief that there were garden Gnomes around her estate until that day. Yen Ming, Sam and I were making our way cautiously to Sam's brother's car which was quite a distance from Sam's workplace.
On that day, Sam wanted me to check out where she worked cos I was considering a career switch due to bad job prospects. She was working with children of low IQ at an old, ramshackled schoolhouse near her estate. Sam was one of the teacher mentors there. The children were quite rowdy but obedient when Sam gave them instructions. Unlike normal schools, the classrooms that the children had were dimly lit with one orange incandescent light bulb that swayed whenever the wind blows.
Classes were held in super-tight container spaces which were as small as a mini bus but the children made the most of it. Sam said that I could get a better view of the class if I sat at the back so I pushed my way through the children as there was barely enough walking space and it was there that I met Yen Ming. He was a teacher-in-training who was assigned to sit in and observe the teachers before he could start teaching proper.
When the day finally ended, Sam offered to fetch Yen Ming and I home but we refused. She insisted and told us that it was not safe at this time to go back alone as this was the time in which the garden Gnomes came out in full force. Both of us agreed as she was so full of conviction when she said it so the three of us made our way hastily to Sam's brother's car.
Sam was right. The atmosphere around us had a different feel: It was heavy with tension but it was very still. All of a sudden, Sam gave a little screech under her breath. We looked in her direction and saw a parked car but it was not the car that mattered. We saw a figure crouched on the other side of the car and it was tapping its feet, waiting patiently: a Gnome.
Sensing that something was amidst, the Gnome pounced up from behind the car and lumbered towards us, as quick as his massive legs could take him. We ran towards Sam's brother's sports convertible. As its hood was down, Yen Ming and I jumped into the back whilst Sam clambered to the front and Kelvin (Sam's brother) whisked us away from the lumbering Gnome.
Prior to my imagination, I thought Gnomes were small, elvish-looking creatures that had pointed hats and shoes but this Gnome looked like any ordinary human being except that it was a little bigger than usual and its facial features were slightly different -you could say a little elvish.
Anyway, Kelvin drove us to their house. It wasn't like Sam's real house at Simei but it looked like a place fit for Richie Rich to stay in, complete with manicured gardens and sprinkling fountains. I remembered Kelvin saying that it was getting more dangerous nowadays and he feared for the safety of his girlfriend as the Gnomes these days were getting smarter.
Anyway, to cut the story short, a few days later, the 3 of us [excluding Yen Ming] met another guy who was victimised by the Gnomes so we took him out for a night of fun, only to find out that he was a Gnome. So we threw him out of the car and he followed us all the way to Sam's uber-rich house and I don't know why but Kelvin decided to go easy on the car engine and that means that the "victimised Gnome" was very close to the car that I almost freaked out cos I was the only one at the backseat and Kelvin HAD THE HOOD OF THE CONVERTIBLE DOWN. So after a painful, nightmarish journey, we reached Sam's place again and I don't know why but we suddenly possessed the ability of werewolves and the car flew up into the night sky and into her well-kept gardens [no use for the door anymore except to keep out Gnomes]. And Sam's family decided to reinforce their doors to become bullet-proof and Gnome-proof. Such a weird dream right? I was really scared ok...this was supposed to be a nightmare and I think it came about due to me watching "Van Helsing" the previous night.
Speaking of "Van Helsing", I didn't know that it was such a good movie until now. The special effects were really good although I was a little disturbed by the fact that Dracula had an aunty-looking hairclip on his hair which made him look a little less scary and more laughable.
No comments:
Post a Comment